PMG’s tips for a clean Inbox
Do’s and Don’ts
We know what you’re thinking – it’s a new year, I’m starting fresh, and I’m going to clear out my Inbox. Well, we want to make sure that your hard work doesn’t go to waste. And, we want to make sure that your solution’s email notifications aren’t part of the problem for others.
We’ve compiled a list of our top Do’s and Don’ts for using PMG’s Email action in workflows. There are a lot of things you can do to help keep everyone’s Inbox organized.
The email action has been around since the dawn of the PMG Platform. No doubt all of you have used them, but are you getting the most out of them?
Email automation definitely has its pros and cons, so PMG has put together guidelines to maximize the pros while minimizing the cons.
• DO use an attractive email template – ideally one matching your organizational brand and style guidelines. Bland, boring, or just plain ugly emails look less official and are more likely to be ignored.
• DO make use of the [EmailBody] tag in your email templates. It’s a huge timesaver and helps cut down on the need for multiple templates. Go on, tag your (email) body!
• DON’T overwhelm the reader with too much information. Sometimes less is more. Finding a balance between TMI (too much information) and what you need to convey is important.
• DO consider the volume of emails in your solution. Again, assuming you want folks to read what is being sent, careful consideration should be made to not overload inboxes email notifications that don’t provide real value to the recipient.
• DON’T forget to provide a direct link to the Work Dashboard or the Work Item itself if your email pertains to a human activity within PMG. Better yet, use direct approval/rejection links in the email itself. Total timesaver!
• DO pay special attention to the content of your subject lines. They should include a “call to action” and enough detail to entice the recipient to read the message. Use dynamic fields in the subject line to include data specific to that workflow instance or request.
• DO remember that pretty much every bit of the email can be tailored to your needs – not just the subject and body, but also the “From” and “Reply To” addresses and the priority.
Thanks for reading. Now, DO go out and make the most of your PMG-generated emails in 2022!